Deciding your career and choosing the right course after 12th is a big & important decision of anybody’s life. Every student dream to become something, earn well and secure his life as much as possible. Some make this career deciding decisions well and achieve what they have dreamt of. Unfortunately, some fail to take the right decisions for their life because of a lack of guidance. Those who wish to make their career in airlines and want to see themselves serving people in the flight; we have the best information for you. Yes, you are right! Those who want to know how to become an air hostess and what is all required to become an air hostess, they must check out the information shared below on “air hostess as a career option”.
- Air hostess is a profession that not only assures a secure future but also gives a completely new lifestyle.
- There are so many diploma and degree courses offered by some of the finest institutes in India. The eligibility criteria and application procedure varies from one air hostess institute to the other.
- When it comes to salary, normally it ranges between INR 20,000 to INR 80,000 per month.
Table of contents
Air hostess, also known as a flight attendant, is a role that comes with lots of responsibilities. You will be providing customer service to passengers in the airlines. Apart from this, air hostesses have to provide administrative help to the captain and other airline employees. As already mentioned, the role of air hostess comes with lots of customer service and administrative responsibilities.
Roles & Responsibilities
Air hostesses are responsible for the lives of several people every day. Their duties run from demonstrating safety procedures to serving meals and drinks. Relaxing nervous passengers during high turbulence and taking care of passengers who are patients as well, is all part of their job duties.
Air hostesses have to be highly attentive and friendly to perform her job nicely. They must have excellent communication and customer service skills. It always questions about air hostess jobs and responsibilities among aspirants about what they have to do on a plane. Let’s check out some typical Air Hostess duties that they have to perform with the complete dedication:
- Before any flight boarding, a pre-flight meeting is held where every member is allotted their positions of work like details of the flight, requirements of the passengers and passengers’ details with medical requirements and the number of babies on board.
- Performing the pre-flight tasks like checking the availability of safety equipment, their functioning, and food stock available on the aircraft.
- To welcome the passengers with a smile and ‘Welcome to the Flight’ and assisting them to their seats is also a part of their job.
- To inform passengers about the safety measures and how to perform them in case of emergency.
- To make sure that every passenger’s hand luggage is safe and secure at a storied.
- To check if all passengers have worn the seat belts before the aircraft is ready to take-off.
- To offer refreshments and food to the passengers once they are settled and the flight has reached a steady point.
- Giving first-aid to passengers in medical emergencies.
- The comfort of every passenger till the flight lands.
- To check every passenger has taken their handbag and there is nothing left in the overhead chambers.
- Last but not the least giving overall flight report and give any suggestion or file a complaint about anything not on board.
It is always important that a candidate must have a certain skill set to succeed in any profession. To be an air hostess or to be a successful air hostess, you must be good in customer service and must possess excellent communication skills. There are many situations an air hostess has to deal like she has to handle passengers and calm them when there is extreme air turbulence or mechanical issues. She has to be organized and quick in responding to the situations. This profession calls for quick thinking, good memory, and organizational skills. Given below some more skills that an air hostess must have:
- Assertive Skills
- Business Communication Skills
- Business Etiquette and Grooming
- Conflict Resolution
- Creative thinking
- Decision Making
- Effective communication skills
- English Language Skills
- A genuine interest in customer service
- Goal setting
- Interpersonal Skills
- Management Skills
- Negotiating Skills
- Presentation Skills
- Rapport Building and Networking
- Stress Management
- Team Building
- Time Management
An eligibility criterion for an Air Hostess is divided into four categories.
- Educational Qualification: Candidate must be 10+2 to pursue this course. For PG Air Hostess course, the minimum educational qualification would be a gradation in any field. Apart from this, the candidate must know Hindi, English and any other foreign language.
- Age and Marital Status: Generally, air hostess academies prefer candidates within the age group of 17 to 26 years. Marital Status also depends upon the academy policy, but they prefer unmarried girls.
- Physical Standards: As air hostess job is all about behavior and physical appearance. Therefore, the candidate must have a minimum height of 5.2″ or 157 cm to get selected for the course. Weight has to be in proportion to candidates’ height. Candidate must be physically fit and have an attractive physique.
- Medical Condition: There are certain medical standards as well in Air Hostess jobs. A candidate must not have a history of mental illness or any major disease. Eyesight requirement is 6/9.
Behavioral Skills Required
If you look good this doesn’t mean that your selection is confirmed. Appearance is not all that matters. You need to have certain behavioral skills that reflect your personality. These include:
- Pleasing Personality: To become an air hostess, you must have a good appearance as well as a pleasant voice. You must behave nicely and handle every problem of the passengers on board in a friendly manner. A friendly retiring behavior is what makes an Air Hostess.
- Good Communication Skills: To convince passengers, it is necessary to have good communication skills so that you can help them well if they need anything. Language proficiency is a must.
- Presence of Mind: A candidate with great presence of mind can become a successful air hostess as this is what is needed when there is an emergency. You need your brain to handle a tough situation and give all the required instructions to the naïve passengers on boards.
- Team Work: Working in a team is important as it gets the things done coordinated way without much trouble. Usually, a cabin crew in a domestic flight consists of over 12 – 14 members. Therefore, you have to work in tandem.
- Ready To Work for Long Hours: Many times due to flight delays and some emergencies, an air hostess has to put an extra effort. So, always be ready for at least 3 to 4 hours extra.
- Positive Attitude: Finally, a positive attitude is all that you need.
Career Scope & Job Prospects
Your education and personality both are vital if you wish to make your career as Air Hostess. This is a glamorous career option as you will not only get handsome salary packages but also get a chance to meet the cine celebrities and business tycoons. Air hostesses get to stay in 5-star hotels and first-class international food to eat for free. Those who are recruited with international flights get a chance to see the different cultures of the world and shop from the big malls of the world.
As per the regulation, aircrew will not fly more than 72 hours in a month. This means that there is not much work burden. Moreover, salaries are good depending upon the airline company you are recruited with.
There are promotions as well in this industry. Air hostess can be promoted as Senior Flight Attendant and then Head Attendant.
Remuneration / Salary
Usually, a company pays between INR 20,000 and INR 80,000 to their Air hostesses. Domestic airlines pay INR 20,000 to INR 35,000 and international airlines can pay up to INR 80,000 depending upon the experience. Some luxurious international airliners can pay anything between INR 100,000 to INR 200,000 per month to their senior air hostesses.
There are additional allowances that airline companies provide like medical insurance, retirement plan and discounts on flight tickets. So, overall the pay package is great for air hostess jobs.
- Application and Online Assessment: Every airline company has some list of requirements like age, height, physical ability and language fluency that every applicant has to pass. If you are sure you meet these requirements, then you must complete and submit an online application with contact information, work experience, skills, and education. If you are selected, an online assessment is sent through email or you are asked to attend an in-person assessment to tests your communication and reasoning skills.
- Assessment Day Introduction and Physical Test: In in-person assessment, you are interviewed along with other candidates. You may also be asked to perform a small physical test.
- Group Activities and Tests: After physical tasks, selected candidates are moved on to participating in group activities which are designed to test your ability to function as a part of a team. After the teamwork exercises, you have to complete a series of written tests that evaluate your problem-solving abilities, language skills, and comprehension.
- In-Person Interview: The assessment day ends with an in-person interview where the last selected lot is interviewed one-on-one by airline representatives. The purpose of this interview is to find out how well you potentially will fit in with their company.
Air Hostess Courses
- BBA with Aviation and Hospitality Management
- BCA with Aviation and Hospitality Management
- BCOM with Aviation and Hospitality Management
- B.Sc( Airhostess training)
- Diploma in Air Hostess Training
- Diploma in Aviation and Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Aviation Hospitality and Travel Management
- Diploma in Global Aviation and Hospitality Management
- Certificate Course in Aviation Management
- Certificate Course in Air Hostess/Flight Purser
- Certificate Course in Aviation and Hospitality Services
- Certificate Course in Night Rating
- Certificate Course in Aviation Hospitality & Travel Management
- Certificate Course in Hospitality Travel and Customer Service
- Certificate Course in International Airlines and Travel Management
Some Important Facts On Airhostess Career
There is an important fact that you must know before you finalize any course. If you choose air hostess certification/diploma, then might face a few career options as compared to BBA or BCA or B.Com degree with Aviation and Hospitality management. This is because:
- Airline companies prefer degree holders as compared to diploma/certificate holders.
- Degree holders are academically more qualified.
- They can apply for other jobs/responsibilities and also opt to pursue higher studies.
Air Hostess has an average career span of 8 to 10 years. Most of the airline companies hire younger staff on board. Some private airlines hire air hostesses on contract basis for a short time. They try to maintain the age of their air hostesses between 30 to 35 years. Some of the airline companies have a cut off age limit of 30-35 years for airhostess jobs. After that, they transfer them to ground duties which include Check Hostess, air hosting trainers, Ground hostess or management work.
Institutes / colleges Offering Courses
- ECR Aviation College
- Frankfinn Institute of Air Hostess Training
- Wings Air Hostess & Hospitality Training
- PTC – Aviation Academy
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Aeronautics (IGIA)
- Rajiv Gandhi Memorial College of Aeronautics
- Universal Aviation Academy
- Institute For Personality, Etiquette, & Grooming (IPEG India)
- Air Hostess Academy (AHA)
- Jet Airways Training Academy
Air hostess is a reputable and glamorous profession that can change your life. Though you can work for a very short span on airlines as an air hostess, there is an ocean of opportunities on the ground level once you are experienced. There is no maximum limit on salary packages for air hostess profession. All you need is a good personality, great behavioral skills, and excellent communication.